|Pope Francis appears |
for first time on balcony of
The election of a new pope is a momentous event in the life of the Catholic Church. Our Sunday Visitor, along with the rest of the world, joyously welcomes Pope Francis, formerly known as Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina, as the Church's new spiritual leader.
The announcement and first appearance of Pope Francis came March 13, a little more than a month after the surprise resignation of Pope Benedict XVI.
"The New Pope" is the most recent work by Dr. Matthew Bunson, the author of the first biography of Pope Benedict XVI in the English language, The Pope Encyclopedia, The Encyclopedia of Catholic History and the upcoming Encyclopedia of U.S. Catholic History. Bunson also is a professor of Church History and a consultant to news organizations all over the world, including USA Today and ABC News, and has appeared on countless radio and television programs, including CNN, MSNBC, Fox News, EWTN, Relevant Radio, the BBC, NPR and France 24.
Bunson's book is based on years of research and his observation of the pontificate of Pope Benedict XVI and members of the College of Cardinals.
Research has been conducted in five different languages into the lives and ministries of the leading Cardinals and represents a study of their backgrounds, writings and homilies. The cardinals are the key leaders of the Church around the world, and their words and ministry have been shaping global Catholicism for years. Each cardinal has a unique personality, background, and education, and while only one of them was elected pope, each contributed to the events of the last week.
"The New Pope" represents a comprehensive analysis of the final days of the pontificate of Pope Benedict, the interregnum, and the crises, challenges and opportunities facing the new pontiff and the global Church.
It is a book for anyone who wants to learn more about Pope Francis, the incredible last days of Pope Benedict’s pontificate, the modern Church and the future of Catholicism.
Among the unique features of the book will be:
- The events and analysis of Pope Benedict’s resignation.
- Analysis as to why the College of Cardinals chose to elect the new pope.
- A complete biography of the new Successor of St. Peter, including his family history, work as a priest and bishop, and his time as a Cardinal.
- Texts and speeches given by the new pope from the moment of his election to his Installation.
- A discussion of the new pope’s coat of arms and other symbols of the papacy.
- A comprehensive discussion of what lies ahead for the new pope.
- A glossary of important terms for the papacy and conclave.
To pre-order "The New Pope," visit our website.